Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I wasn't feeling too great after last night's excursions so I decided the most strenuous thing I would do with the girls would be to bake a pizza (#4 recipe) and the best part? It only took 30 minutes to make!


And on my day went, but I had much bigger plans for the rest of the night. 

50 years ago on this date a wonderful man was born; said man is my dad. I know that a lot of people claim their dad is the best, and I know that a lot of those people that know it can't be quantified or qualified, and there's no real way to measure "best-ness". This being said, my dad really is the best. He's funny, ornery, kind and compassionate, and he's always been there for me.

He is also a very hard worker. But, due to the fact that he was born right during "planting time" he pretty much only comes home to eat and sleep on his birthdays. There have actually been birthdays when he has completely forgotten that it was his birthday! But not this one! Half a century is a long time and should at least be celebrated with a meal:


Zach and I prepared fillets, buttery peas, garlic and onion mashed potatoes and a salad complete with sourdough bread from WheatFields (a local bakery and cafe that makes some truly amazing bread, as well as a few choice desserts). 

After dinner, Dad went back out to the field and Zach and I watched "Clue" while we waited for him to return. When he did, this was waiting for him: 


Creme brûlée (#5) is one of my favorite desserts. It is pretty simple, though time intensive, but the results are so wonderful it's hard to stop making it once you have mastered it. And it is all too easily mastered. I licked the bowl clean. I feel no shame. 

And then I noticed we had another one of my favorite foods sitting on the counter and it was meant to be eaten as soon as possible because The Queen (my mom; I deemed her The Queen when I was four and she will never let it go) hates this wonderful gift from the gods with a fiery passion that I will never understand: 


Watermelon! This is probably in my top five favorite foods. If I were presented a watermelon as a gift I would probably kiss my giver's feet; I love this stuff so much! 

Oh, and for the people who read yesterday's update. World's of Fun was dealt with. I had to call three different places in order to get someone out there to make sure that the food is up to par (I'm sure it more than likely isn't). But I got it done! I've discovered that adulting requires a lot of phone handling... and (thankfully) not everything can be handled by a text. 


No comments:

Post a Comment