Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sunday, June 12, 2016

When I woke up this morning it seemed like a typical summer Kansas Sunday. It was sunny and warm with a light breeze. I went upstairs and shortly after getting breakfast my mom looked at her phone and saw that my aunt had texted and told us to turn on the TV. Then it wasn't normal. It was horrifying, upsetting, and ultimately heartbreaking.

We had learned the horrible news of what had happened in Orlando, Florida. 50 people had been killed and 53 others were wounded. This is the worst mass shooting in the history of the United States. What we were told was that the shooter had attacked a gay club because he was anti-gay and he was killed by the police, and other reasons behind his murderous rampage were being looked into. We are shocked, appalled, and feel so badly for everyone who was affected by this man's hateful act.

I know that it is easy to give into anger and hate when we are pushed to the limit, but I continue to hope that love will triumph over hate. This is my prayer for the day, the month, the year, and possibly my lifetime: May there be peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment