Monday, June 6, 2016

Monday, June 6, 2016


I adulted hard. The start of my day was pretty normal, got up, dressed, brewed coffee, ate breakfast and went to work. I was eagerly greeted by the dog and got to work. Being Monday the girls and I decided we wanted to have a pretty laid back day. A few months ago I taught the girls how to finger knit and now they become excited when they see string. So I let them have free range of a couple balls of yarn. My one very strict rule that I have them follow is that anything we take out while I’m here must be put away and cleaned up by the time their mom gets home, and they happily abide by that rule so I wasn’t too stressed out when string was strewn across the living room. While they were playing with string I read them some more of “Hoot” and somewhere in the middle of our day we had lunch. 

But this week is a little bit different from previous ones; the girls have clubs early in the afternoon, meaning I have a couple extra hours to myself this week. But I actually had a bit of a surprise waiting for me when I dropped the girls off. 

I ran into my preschool teachers! These women are absolutely wonderful and I was completely surprised that they recognized me, but then again I was a pretty memorable four year old. I broke down in the middle of the street and told one of them that I couldn’t go any further and they would have to carry me. We struck a compromise and she carried me to the end of the street and I walked the rest of the way to our destination. I also danced on a shaving cream covered table… we were not meant to climb up on (one of them told me she has a picture of me doing this somewhere). And to top the list I gave a pretty good rendition of giving birth on a bathroom floor, complete with grunting and groaning and finished with pulling a naked baby doll out from under my skirt and proudly proclaiming, “I gave birth!”. Tell me that is something you wouldn’t remember seeing. We reminisced for a while and then parted ways, excited to see each other tomorrow. 

I was in town. Did mom need anything? She sent me a grocery list and I was off, but first I stopped by Home Depot to get some plastic zipper close tubs… Sadly they didn’t carry what I was looking for so I went with the standard lid close tubs; I had a plan for these bad boys, but more on that later. 

I then gassed up, and then  went Aldi and picked up a few things, but I couldn’t find shredded parmesan, so I went to Target and then headed home. The contents of my shopping trip: 


While unpacking I noticed the kitchen could use some tidying up. 

Before: 

After:




Ahhhhh, that's better. 

Down to the basement I went. I then tackled this: 


And this:

This thing is my art supply table. I am incredibly embarrassed about this mess. I mean, who could find anything in this? I know I couldn’t. So I brought in my tubs from Home Depot and handled this mess. Zach also tagged in and helped me fold some of the fabric. I am very happy with the end results: 


Organized chaos for the win!  The bottom tub is full of quilt tops, second big tub is full of big skeins of fabric, and the middle sized has big scraps while the itty bitty is full of itty bitty pieces. The bag up front has my future renaissance costume in it. I will start on this bad boy pretty soon. I can’t contain my excitement. That being said, this is the most difficult thing I have ever attempted to make, so I’m slightly intimidated, but I don’t easily back down from a challenge. Bring it on!

And the coup de grรขce for my adulting was making dinner with Zach. The results were tasty:

I must take the time to thank everyone who has and is helping me become an adult. I know I have a ways to go, but I think you all set me up pretty well. From pealing me off the pavement and making sure I carried on even when I was tired, to continually saving my ass from major screw ups, and simply helping me keep my sanity in this new chapter of my life; you are all inspirations to me, and I cannot thank you enough for everything you have done and continue to do for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment