Monday, June 6, 2016

Saturday, June 4, 2016

With Saturday there comes the good and the bad. The good? I get to go to the Lawrence Farmer's Market and sell my baked goods and see people I like, and I get to have a pretty yummy breakfast burrito. The bad? I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON. If I get less than 10 hours of sleep I will need a cup of coffee. 8 hours = 1 cup, 6 hours = 2 cups, -6 or less and I should really just drink the whole pot and take a nap, which is what I normally do. Obviously, my sleep cycle mimics that of a small child rather than an adult. Oh well.

This Saturday, Zach and I got up and packed up the car. The entire time I kept on getting this feeling that I was forgetting something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I decided it was probably just a lack of sleep and decided to head out. STUPID, SIDNEY! We got there and parked the van, but no sooner did I step out that I remembered what I had so idiotically forgotten. I forgot the money box! The market was going to start in less than 30 minutes and I was incapable of making change. I. WAS. SCREWED. Driving back to our house was not an option (we wouldn't make it back in time). So I thought, "Call Dad, Dad is up, Dad will help you, you will endure some teasing, but he will help you. Do not call your mom!" I called my dad, no answer, call again, no answer. Panic set in. I had to call my mom. This was not good. My mom is also not a morning person, and she has a rule; Only wake me up to kiss me goodbye, if the house is on fire, or if someone has died. Sadly my dilemma didn't fall into said categories, but I had ran out of options. "Mom... I'm an idiot." A moment of silence on the other end followed by, "What did you forget?" "The money box..."
"Are you serious? That's the one thing you shouldn't forget!"
"I know... please help me..."
"I'm on my way..." I could hear the huff on the other end,
"Thank you! I love you so much, I don't deserve you! You are wonderful!"
"I love you too, and no you don't, and yes I am."

My mother is my savior:

 
And I was up and ready for business
At the market I sell a variety of cookies: Oatmeal Whoopie Pies, Chocolate Chip / M&M, Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Chip Walnut Oatmeal, and Breakfast Cookies. I also sell Blueberry Muffins, Double Chocolate Banana Muffins, Caramel Pretzel Brownies, and some knitted dishrags. 

Now I don't know why, but it seems like a law of the universe that if I go to the Market on a TCC Golf Tournament Day (which is held annually) I will never sell out of cookies. I've gone 4 years in a row and I've always had cookies left. Oh well, there are a lot of people there and they like cookies, but then again, who doesn't? 

This year, Zach, Callie (my baby sister) and I were a definite team, but Callie couldn't find her second so we asked her if she would mind if Zach's friend Scott came along. She said sure,  so off we went, with Scott and Zach in one cart and me and Rue (my nick name for Callie) in the other. 

Now the rule is that we play best ball, and bogie is your friend. Which is really nice because Callie and I really suck at golf, so on the score card you can only get 18 over par, which is still embarrassing, but not nearly as much as it could be if we were seriously playing. 

My parents were playing directly ahead of us and at each hole they would leave a little gift
Zach is notorious for losing balls, but this year he really didn't slice any too bad and we were always able to find them. 

Over the course of the game Callie and I realized that we were completely incapable of really helping better the game, so we stayed in our cart and acted as cheerleaders and "insurance", meaning we would only step in if the guys really fouled things up, and they never did. So this is what we watched for the rest of the day: 

And we did eventually see the hole that my dad sponsored:



Callie and I also saved a turtle and brought it to a little pond where it could live out its days. 

At the end of the day we wound up getting a score of 83 on a 76 par course (which was actually an improvement from previous years... we once actually got a prize for getting the worst score... please stop laughing). 

My mom and aunt left early from the awards (they had to get to Outlander), so Zach, Scott, Rue, my Dad, my uncle, and I went to dinner afterwards at a little Mexican restaurant in my home town and then called it a day... it had been a very long day.

Here's hoping we continue to suck less. Maybe one year we may actually get par! Yes, I would view that as an accomplishment. 

In closing, have an awesome week, wear sunscreen, and watch out for the crazies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment